Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DViper's miscellaneous Star Trek projects

• ViperViper1686 Posts: 717Administrator
    edited October 2019 #212
    So, I tried a bunch of different configs for engineering. I think this is final. Already did the windows. I was going to add an Arboretum but I couldn't fit it anywhere that would look good. Here are a few tries:

kusanagi182.jpg
    kusanagi181.jpg
    kusanagi186.jpg

In the end I decided to just do this:

kusanagi187.jpg

Getting very close to finish line now :)
    Post edited by Viper on
    Brandenbergevil_genius_180MadKoiFishLizzy777ashleytingerWarp Propulsion LaboratoryMcCwibble
  • LoopholeLoophole48 Posts: 68Member
    It does look nice on the catamarans, that's a creative place to put it.
    Viper
    Standing among giants
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Loophole wrote: »

I'll Second That.

Looking Very Cool!
    Viper
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1664 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    edited October 2019 #215
    Loophole wrote: »

That was my knee jerk reaction too. Liked it on top the best. If I had put it on the bottom, I would have first chosen closer to the saucer, but I bet you've done that and decided against it.

Are you putting it on both sides or just one arboretum?
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    Viper
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The windows look great. I too like the arboretum windows in the catamaran.
    Viper
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9796 Posts: 5,323Member
    Cameramans avoid the issue of closeness to the ejection port the deflector and any other filling or other connections made to the central area of the ship. It also visually looks better at a distance.
    Viper
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Heh, I was not expecting such a positive reaction to the catamaran idea. I got complaints on Discord that they didn't line up with the panel lines and looked awkward so I removed them. I'll have to think about it. I'm now trying to figure out what to do with the deflector area. Updates soon, hopefully :)
    lewisniven
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Not sure where it could be placed, but what about an NX Excelsior style arboretum? Could be placed on saucer cutouts where the Akira had those side torpedo launchers.
    Viper
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    edited October 2019 #220
    I've always liked where they put the arboretum on the Excelsior. Something like that might be an idea on this ship because if you are duplicating the windows for symmetry on the other catamaran, then you potentially have two arboretums. Obviously the other window set could be a lab or gym or mess hall.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    Viper
    Viper wrote: »
    I got complaints on Discord that they didn't line up with the panel lines and looked awkward so I removed them. I'll have to think about it.

Well, why should they? I mean, it's not like your panel lines are indicative of deck separations. They follow the curvature of the saucer (quite excellently, I might add) and having the windows follow them would have been more awkward. To be fair, none of your windows follow the lines, because the windows no doubt follow the deck structure. This type of thing always happens when that much curvature meets a straight line. So, yeah, I definitely wouldn't worry about that.
    ashleytingerLizzy777LoopholeRekkertViperBrandenberg
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2014 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member
    I got complaints on Discord that they didn't line up with the panel lines and looked awkward so I removed them. I'll have to think about it.

Well, why should they? I mean, it's not like your panel lines are indicative of deck separations. They follow the curvature of the saucer (quite excellently, I might add) and having the windows follow them would have been more awkward. To be fair, none of your windows follow the lines, because the windows no doubt follow the deck structure. This type of thing always happens when that much curvature meets a straight line. So, yeah, I definitely wouldn't worry about that.

EXACTLY.
    ViperBrandenberg
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9796 Posts: 5,323Member
    Another bonus to the cats is you can SEE the junk in the room vs seeing nothing but ceiling lights and beams. Panel lines or shield grids should flow for the shields needs vs window flow. I mean wanna be picky about it the teal panel on the belly will never align either.

Another option is to have them ringing the saucer top and be asymmetric, and be skylights. Or on the inside of the cats so you can look across the hull from one to the other.

Viper
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Quick update. I'm trying to detail the deflector area, but not having the easiest time. This is what I got so far:
    kusanagi191.jpg

Appreciate any suggestions :) I also decided to leave the arboretum in the catamarans. Only thing I did was to remove one of the windows:
    kusanagi192.jpg
    MadKoiFishlewisnivenashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777FreakBrandenbergwibble
    Yay! That's looking great so far. Not sure what to suggest for that forward part of the secondary hull though.
    Viper
    Yay! That's looking great so far. Not sure what to suggest for that forward part of the secondary hull though.

Thanks! Well, while I don't figure it out:

kusanagi193.jpg
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777FreakBrandenberg
    Maybe some color panels inside of the cutout, like the studio Akira has. That's all I have, I'd have a hard time detailing that area too.
    I was thinking about it a little bit, could you do some kind of combination from the Excelsior neck and forward secondary hull? I know those ambiguous ports on the neck on the Excelsior are a greebly mess, but it might be worth thinking about.
    Maybe some color panels inside of the cutout, like the studio Akira has. That's all I have, I'd have a hard time detailing that area too.

Yup, that's coming.
    I was thinking about it a little bit, could you do some kind of combination from the Excelsior neck and forward secondary hull? I know those ambiguous ports on the neck on the Excelsior are a greebly mess, but it might be worth thinking about.

I tried that, but one thing that isn't easy to see here is how small this ship is compared to the Excelsior. So those details would look huge on this ship. I could do them smaller, but then it wouldn't make much sense. I'm thinking of trying solving this in texturing.

Anyway, couple more images:

kusanagi194.jpg
    kusanagi195.jpg
    ashleytingerLizzy777P5ych0p4thRekkertMadKoiFishFreakWarp Propulsion LaboratoryBrandenbergkomarowibble
    Well, I finished all the major pieces :) I have a few greebles to add, but after that I can move to proper texturing. A lot of it is placeholder at the moment. Here are the final parts and a couple of 1080p renders:

kusanagi196.jpg
    kusanagi197b.jpg
    kusanagi198.jpg
    kusanagi199.jpg
    ashleytingerMadKoiFishRekkertLizzy777evil_genius_180FreakWarp Propulsion LaboratoryBrandenbergwibble
    She looks amazing. The Major would love it.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    That is one fine looks ship!
    You've done such a nice job! I never tire of looking at this.
    I am tidying up a few last details before texturing. First off was the cargo bay control room. The old shape wasn't what I wanted. I think this new one is better:

kusanagi200.jpg

The second one is the bridge structure. The plates behind the bridge were supposed to have greebles so I started on them:

kusanagi204.jpg

I'm not sure if this is good though. I wasn't planning on doing greebles on top of that room at the back, but now it feels empty. Any thoughts? Ideas?
    Lizzy777RekkertMadKoiFishevil_genius_180FreakBrandenbergwibble
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771264 PNWPosts: 757Member
    I'm not sure if this is good though. I wasn't planning on doing greebles on top of that room at the back, but now it feels empty. Any thoughts? Ideas?

Two long panels that run the length of that blank space could do well enough as filler. They don't really need anything on top of that, unless you want to add an access hatch as well for a little asymmetry.
    evil_genius_180Viper
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    It looks great. I agree with Lizzy777's idea for some simple paneling to break up that area a bit and add some detail without going overboard.
    Lizzy777Viper
    I know I mentioned this elsewhere but I like the idea of a set of paneling that makes it look like that whole observation/control area is modular and one big unit that was installed.
    Lizzy777RekkertViper
    I tried a bunch of different things yesterday and in the end this was the least problematic:
    kusanagi207.jpg

I also added the last bit of greeble here:
    kusanagi208.jpg

Today I'll try to UV map the last few pieces and start texturing :)
    RekkertLizzy777ashleytingerevil_genius_180FreakBrandenbergwibble
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Love those Excelsior style fins at the back!
    Interesting place for a light there, I assume that will be illuminating the front end of the saucer?
    Viper
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771264 PNWPosts: 757Member
    That additional detail back there looks a lot better now.
    Viper
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Love those Excelsior style fins at the back!
    Interesting place for a light there, I assume that will be illuminating the front end of the saucer?

That's a call back to the navigation dome in the bottom of the saucer of the Constitution. I wanted something to break that area, it seemed like a good fit. The light should not be strong enough to hit the front of the saucer.
    ashleytingerLizzy777