Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DViper's miscellaneous Star Trek projects

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Loving those impulse engines.
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    She looks a beauty Diogo!
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1664 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    That's a very attractive look from behind now. And yes the newly done bridge flows with the rest of the design of the ship. My compliments. I mentioned a while back that I thought you needed more "ship" between the catamarans and you've done it. I'm sure that there is some surface paneling detail that you have planned to fill in around the bridge, between the catamarans?

Anyway it is a great design and getting sweeter all the time.
    Oh and I'm sorry but while I like the original Akira well enough, I still like this better. I'm not dissing the original, it's great. But this is better.
  • ViperViper1686 Posts: 717Administrator
    Some relatively major updates. I finally took a stab at doing the panel work for the bridge superstructure. Might have some minor changes to panel layout, but I think this is good. You can also see some placeholder panels for the spine. They'll have a few greebles there.

I also did a new shape for the main hangar door. I think this new one looks better. Also added doors to both, but I think I'm going to completely redesign the bottom one. Right now it's just another hangar, I think for cargo it should be different. So I'm going to take a stab at doing something like the Excelsior has. Here are the latest renders:

kusanagi115.jpg
    kusanagi116.jpg
    kusanagi117.jpg
    Lizzy777Brandenbergevil_genius_180FreakMadKoiFishshaved_apeChiefBrexwibble
    So fun to watch. I like what you've done.
    Viper
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The paneling looks great.
    Viper
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Not sure if I'm a fan of those long green panels following the catamaran borders on the bridge superstructure , but I do like the added details in front of the ship. Very reminiscent of the NX-01. :)
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Not sure if I'm a fan of those long green panels following the catamaran borders on the bridge superstructure , but I do like the added details in front of the ship. Very reminiscent of the NX-01. :)

Any green panels are subject to change. Just placeholders before I texture them. What I tried to do here was do the inverse of the way they are colored in the Excelsior superstructure.

BTW, I completely reworked the Cargo Bay. This is very much only a concept, so there'll be more detail here before I can call it done. It's based on the Excelsior cargo bay. Now, the back wall will have doors that lead into a actual cargo storage room. What you see is only the place where the containers are dropped off before a crane picks them up and pulls them in. The middle structure will be the control room for the traffic and crane control. Nothing is final, but let me know about shapes and stuff like that. So here are a couple of images:
    kusanagi119.jpg
    kusanagi120.jpg
    evil_genius_180BrandenbergRekkertMadKoiFishLizzy777shaved_apewibble
    I like it. I immediately thought of the Excelsior when I saw it.
    Viper
    Yeah that's really good. It strikes me that it ought to be a little deeper to supply a ship this big.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Ohh, very nice!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • LoopholeLoophole48 Posts: 68Member
    I really like it, especially the little interior control room.
    Standing among giants
  • srspicersrspicer391 Posts: 335Member
    Everything looks great to me.
    Are you going to put an impulse crystal with each engine?
    Nice I am really liking that Cargo area.
    Thanks everyone!
    srspicer wrote: »
    Everything looks great to me.
    Are you going to put an impulse crystal with each engine?

Erm, I don't think so. I think those domes won't look good with the engines I made. I might do something else instead though. I think that area needs some kind of detail.

I ended up not doing much this weekend as I need to take a break. But on Sunday night I did end up opening my old corridor scene and doing a couple more sections. I know I'm missing details on the corridor, namely the metal protection plates that run on the sides and also the light fixtures need work, but I'm trying to block out all the tiles. I established a box of 250cm³ where each tile fits. I also have a half tile which is 125x250x250. This should make doing a large scene a breeze since I can just position everything in a grid. Anyway, here are a couple of images. The white panels is just to test different color schemes for the Kusanagi (a name I'm thinking of changing actually) as I don't want the interiors to be exactly like the Enterprise.
    corridor07.jpg
    corridor08.jpg
    Rekkertevil_genius_180Lizzy777FreakBrandenbergwibble
    That corridor looks good.
    Viper
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2014 Central OhioPosts: 1,245Member
    Corridor is looking great! I tend to like the corridors without the metal padding on the bottom and that would be a start to differentiate it from the Connie.

I really like what you're doing with the cargo area on the Kusanagi. I hope you don't change the name, but hey, your ship not mine. ;)
    Viper
  • shaved_apeshaved_ape433 USAPosts: 158Member
    Viper wrote: »
    Some relatively major updates. I finally took a stab at doing the panel work for the bridge superstructure. Might have some minor changes to panel layout, but I think this is good. You can also see some placeholder panels for the spine. They'll have a few greebles there.

I also did a new shape for the main hangar door. I think this new one looks better. Also added doors to both, but I think I'm going to completely redesign the bottom one. Right now it's just another hangar, I think for cargo it should be different. So I'm going to take a stab at doing something like the Excelsior has. Here are the latest renders:

kusanagi115.jpg
    kusanagi116.jpg
    kusanagi117.jpg

I love the cleanliness of the renders, as if they were photographed on a sunny day. The panel linework is exceptional (something I've tried and failed at miserably, that's why I stick to interiors). =)
    Viperwibble
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    Super nice. Hanger doors that look exactly like hanger doors. And I swear it's like those warp nacelles were made for this design, they just didn't know it at the time. Everything visually works.
    Viper
    psCargile wrote: »
    And I swear it's like those warp nacelles were made for this design, they just didn't know it at the time.

Really, that style of nacelle works with a lot of designs.
    Viper
    Again thanks guys :)
    Corridor is looking great! I tend to like the corridors without the metal padding on the bottom and that would be a start to differentiate it from the Connie.

I really like what you're doing with the cargo area on the Kusanagi. I hope you don't change the name, but hey, your ship not mine. ;)

Well, I see those as a safety thing, so thew crew don't kick the beams all the time. What I might do is replace the floor material that has the circles with something different.

As for the name, I thought about it, but couldn't find anything better. And at this point, enough people call it that, I'll just keep it :)

I am trying move forward with the Kusanagi, but I'm hitting some design blocks. While I figure those out, I thought, why not start another project? :D So I spent about 3 and a half hours working on this:

tos-constitution01.jpg
    tos-constitution02.jpg
    tos-constitution03.jpg
    tos-constitution04.jpg

I do have a problem with this one. I have no idea how to tackle my idea of making it look like a starship instead of a studio model, while keeping the look of the ship more or less intact :o
    FreakashleytingerLizzy777Brandenbergwibble
    Nice start
    I do have a problem with this one. I have no idea how to tackle my idea of making it look like a starship instead of a studio model, while keeping the look of the ship more or less intact :o

Thats the challange. Good luck, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Nice start!

Whatever you do, don't try to fix the windows not lining up with a deck layout that actually works. To do that, you're going to have to either drop/move some windows or completely rescale the ship.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2014 Central OhioPosts: 1,245Member
    Again thanks guys :)

Well, I see those as a safety thing, so thew crew don't kick the beams all the time. What I might do is replace the floor material that has the circles with something different.

But they got rid of them entirely on TNG without any problems. ;)

And that's a fantastic start on the old girl
    Nice start!

Whatever you do, don't try to fix the windows not lining up with a deck layout that actually works. To do that, you're going to have to either drop/move some windows or completely rescale the ship.

Yeah, I'm aware :( I noticed that issue as I was studying the blueprints. Depending on where things are though, it can be possibly be fixed in the interior. While doing the Kusanagi I've noticed that having decks that are off from a main deck plan is kinda inevitable.
    But they got rid of them entirely on TNG without any problems. ;)

That's a good point. I'll keep them off for now.
    edited July 2019 #148
    Yeah, I'm aware :( I noticed that issue as I was studying the blueprints. Depending on where things are though, it can be possibly be fixed in the interior. While doing the Kusanagi I've noticed that having decks that are off from a main deck plan is kinda inevitable.

The problem was when and where the windows were added. When Richard Datin first presented the 33-inch model to Gene Roddenberry, it had no windows. Roddenberry liked it but asked for windows to be added. So, Datin added some. The windows added included one row each to the teardrop under the bridge and the saucer edge. When they did the 11-foot model, they pretty much added windows in the same places. Then, when they went to the full series version, an attempt was made to make the ship seem bigger. The bridge and nav deflector were made smaller and more rows of windows were added, including additional ones on the teardrop and saucer edge. On the saucer edge, it pretty much works, but the teardrop is a problem. The structure just isn't big enough for two rows of windows. And, planning your decks out from the two rows on the saucer edge leads to other fun issues, as you've already found. There have been attempts, including the "official MSD" from Enterprise, to make it work with a deck plan, but you still wind up with oddly placed windows. I wonder how Richard Datin's original window layout, and the (presumed) smaller ship, would have worked with a deck plan.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9792 Posts: 5,322Member
    Subtle surfacing can sell the old connie without massive changes. It also depends how screen accurate you want it. Id change out and so more complex window jambs, complicate up a hull grid system that isnt to gappy maybe 1/2inch gaps with subpanels and loads of surfacing details. I think i spent 2 or 3 times the work on mapping that ship than I did modeling it. I was though going for a replication of the studio model vs making it look real next to a TMP or other ships.

Decks on it do not need to be split off evenly like a skyscraper. Most large ships have half decks doubles etc so you can traverse from bow to stern and change heights multiple times as your having to go around a taller deck below or step up a few steps or a ramp to align to another. Only place that is tight is in the saucer rim and those neck windows. I managed to get 8.5foot tall rooms in most areas except some of the ones near the shuttlebay and those long group of ones in the neck. Also as mentioned that BC deck are UGH I ended up doing a multi level deck layout. Split level houses and condos were super popular then too so hah. One place I lived in had 4 levels on the ground floor.

connie-rooms.png[img][/img]
    Brandenberg
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    edited August 2019 #150
    Yeah, I personally don't worry about the deck/window issue when I do these things. There are ways to explain almost everything but the teardrop. They should never have added a second layer of windows to that. That was corrected for the TMP ship. On my most recent TOS build, I took a cue from that ship and cut it down to 1 row of windows.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Yeah, that was pretty much what I was thinking @MadKoiFish. I think I can also get away with doing separate panels like I've been doing with my other ships. Just gotta make the gap smaller.

I did some more work on this yesterday. I think the main modelling is like 80% done. Just have to finish the nacelle and impulse engine and then add the rest of the details. :D I did the bussards and I like how they came out. All geometry inside. I also did that block thing in engineering, man, that was seven kinds of hell. Still a bit wonky I think so need to do another pass. Anyway, images:

tos-constitution09.jpg
    tos-constitution10.jpg
    tos-constitution05.jpg
    Lizzy777ashleytingerevil_genius_180MadKoiFishFreakBrandenbergwibble