Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DViper's miscellaneous Star Trek projects

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    edited July 2019 #62
    It would almost be good to put the hanger control room on the underside of the torpedo launcher. However, technically since the bridge view screen is a projection and not a real window, just a "camera" or cameras on the underside of the torpedo launcher with feed to a hanger control room is enough.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    I hate to say it but those Enterprise refit engines are still nicer than the Akira engines on this Akira inspired design. I wonder what Enterprise D engines would look like too.
  • ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    Freak wrote: »
    She's coming along nicely.
    Do you have plans to install a Hanger Control room on the back?
    I know the original had it just above the rear hanger, but seeing as you have two. It might be best to put it onto the rim of the source so they can keep an eye on both.

I've thought about that before. I'm tempted to just have two control rooms though. I don't want to have any appendages at the rim. I tried before, doesn't work. Plus, I need something to occupy the area above the secondary hangar.
    I hate to say it but those Enterprise refit engines are still nicer than the Akira engines on this Akira inspired design. I wonder what Enterprise D engines would look like too.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you talking about the nacelles or the impulse engines?
    Some updates. I have the launchers set up in the pod now:
    kusanagi053.jpg

And I also re positioned and properly aligned the windows to the catamarans. No more distortion now. This layout is final unless something bothers me. The inside panels are not finalized though, I still might change those.
    kusanagi056.jpg
    kusanagi057.jpg
    kusanagi058.jpg
    MadKoiFishashleytingerLizzy777FreakRekkertBrandenbergwibble
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9712 Posts: 5,302Member
    I think he is referring to the nacelles of the TNG (original) Akira and the TMP ones. I think the vertical facing arrangement you have works much better as well. It better works that void space between them vs angled ones.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's some nice clean work, Viper. :)
    Viper
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Nice, interesting choice on putting a docking port on the inside of the catamarans.
    Viper
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    I think he is referring to the nacelles of the TNG (original) Akira and the TMP ones. I think the vertical facing arrangement you have works much better as well. It better works that void space between them vs angled ones.

Yeah, I also think it helps sell the TMP vibe. I tried angled, and while it works, it does break that aspect a bit.
    That's some nice clean work, Viper. :)

Cheers!
    Freak wrote: »
    Nice, interesting choice on putting a docking port on the inside of the catamarans.

I could've done on the outside, but it would require a complex carve. This saves space and is easier :)
    For docking with something small, like a travel pod or shuttle, having the port inside of the catamaran isn't an issue. For docking with stations, there's the saucer docking port. :)
    Viper
    edited July 2019 #71
    MKF was right. I’m saying I actually prefer this Akira style over the original. The TMP engines sit better. And better vertically, as you did them.

There is another reason why the docking port is better on the inside. Relative protection if there is a surprise attack when someone is transferring off a shuttle to the ship.
    Viper
    For docking with something small, like a travel pod or shuttle, having the port inside of the catamaran isn't an issue. For docking with stations, there's the saucer docking port. :)

Yes, I'll pretend I remembered that while doing this :p
    MKF was right. I’m saying I actually prefer this Akira style over the original. The TMP engines sit better. And better vertically, as you did them.

There is another reason why the docking port is better on the inside. Relative protection if there is a surprise attack when someone is transferring off a shuttle to the ship.

Anyone that says they like my design better than the original Akira, that's the highest of praises. The original is one of my favorite designs :)

Work continues. I decided to bring back the green ribbing at the back. I made it wider and straightened it out so everything is equidistant. I also did the windows for the hangar control room. I tried having a separate structure but it wasn't working very well. This is cleaner. Notable omission is the bridge. Just not happy with what I had. I'll try designing something better in the coming days.

kusanagi064.jpg
    kusanagi065.jpg
    kusanagi066.jpg
    BrandenbergLizzy777Freakwibble
    Ok, Great idea on the windows. Also on the ribbing.
    Viper wrote: »
    Notable omission is the bridge. Just not happy with what I had. I'll try designing something better in the coming days.

Are you saying you are going to scrap your current bridge?
    Are you saying you are going to scrap your current bridge?

Probably, yes. I don't think it works with the rest of the design.
    edited July 2019 #76
    I might agree. My feeling is that there isn't enough ship between the Catamarans. Obviously you have to play with it but a bridge might look better a little more forward over the saucer with more structures behind it. Additionally, in that era of ship, is there a reason for a top of warp core like on the rear of the saucer on 1701 A and Miranda? I suppose in this ship design that really belongs back near the Torpedo launcher. You have your work cut out for you. :)
    Viper
    It's looking great. I like the green stripes.
    Viper
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    The Green strips work really well!
    Viper
  • LoopholeLoophole48 Posts: 67Member
    The green strips really ground it in the TMP era. Are you going to add some light blue paneling as well, as seen on other TMP ships?
    Viper
    Standing among giants
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Loving how this is progressing!
    Viper
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    edited July 2019 #81
    Thanks for the compliments :)
    Loophole wrote: »
    The green strips really ground it in the TMP era. Are you going to add some light blue paneling as well, as seen on other TMP ships?

Probably, yeah. The colors is something I still have to figure out. I'm not even sure if the green will stay to be honest. It might have to be blue.

Big changes for this update. Thanks to the guys on the Discord channel, and with a little help from some John Eaves concept art, I decided to take a completely different approach to the bridge and build a superstructure that spans all the way to the back. That also solved a previous issue with the control room. The new one feels better and with more clearance.
    kusanagi087.jpg
    kusanagi086.jpg

I also reworked the hangar interior. It's going to be a big one:
    kusanagi084.jpg

And here you can see the rails where the doors will slide on:
    kusanagi085.jpg
    Post edited by Viper on
    RekkertashleytingerBrandenbergFreakLizzy777evil_genius_180wibble
    Wow. Did I tell you Wow?!! I love what you did for the shuttle bay doors and I'll admit I like your bridge improvement and connection to the shuttle control area. In case I forget, WOW!
    Viper
    That looks really sweet. I love bits like that on ships, where you have a "Connector" of sorts between something like the bridge and the details on the back of the saucer. :)
    Viper
    Anyone that says they like my design better than the original Akira, that's the highest of praises. The original is one of my favorite designs :)

Well it deserves high praise.

Viper
    I wouldn't say it's better than the original Akira. But then, the Akira is my favorite ship from First Contact. (sorry, Enterprise-E) The Steamrunner is my second favorite. Though, I'd say your ship is at least as good looking as the original Akira. I think they both have strong points in their favor, and they come out pretty even for me. One thing I definitely prefer on yours is that torpedo launcher pod. Man, that's slick.

I think it's really nice seeing more stuff done based on the Akira. I know there was kind of a stigma around doing stuff based on it after the NX-01 was blatantly based on it, but this sort of project really fills the gap between the two designs. You can see an evolution between the NX and the Akira with ships like this. :)
    Viper
    Well it deserves high praise.

Well, cheers!
    I wouldn't say it's better than the original Akira. But then, the Akira is my favorite ship from First Contact. (sorry, Enterprise-E) The Steamrunner is my second favorite. Though, I'd say your ship is at least as good looking as the original Akira. I think they both have strong points in their favor, and they come out pretty even for me. One thing I definitely prefer on yours is that torpedo launcher pod. Man, that's slick.

I think it's really nice seeing more stuff done based on the Akira. I know there was kind of a stigma around doing stuff based on it after the NX-01 was blatantly based on it, but this sort of project really fills the gap between the two designs. You can see an evolution between the NX and the Akira with ships like this. :)

Just to be clear, I don't consider it better than the Akira. Heck, if the Akira didn't exist, mine wouldn't either. But I appreciate the comments :) I'm rather proud of that pod as well and if I am getting the idea of that evolution across then I'll consider mine a job well done ;)

Here's a small update. Testing the windows for the conference room at the back of the bridge:
    kusanagi090.jpg

I also knocked this out in about half an hour. TMP version of the Saladin Class. It still needs some additional modeling, but it's basically done. I'll do the Akula as well and I might actually try a TMP version of the Kelvin. I'm doing these to have some background ships for different scenes.
    saladin001.jpg
    evil_genius_180BrandenbergLizzy777ashleytingerFreakwibble
    The Saladin looks great. :)
    Just to be clear, I don't consider it better than the Akira. Heck, if the Akira didn't exist, mine wouldn't either. But I appreciate the comments :) I'm rather proud of that pod as well and if I am getting the idea of that evolution across then I'll consider mine a job well done ;)

Yeah, I was just babbling my thoughts on it. Like I said, I like both yours and the original Akira. I also like the NX-01, so yours is definitely a great midway design. :)
    Viper
    It has repeatedly happened that I find I like a ship design much more after I draw it. I was very so so on the NX-01 and now I really like it.

A very nice Saladin class.
    Viper
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited July 2019 #89
    Very nice Saladin-Class indeed! If you're looking for easy to do backgrounds ships, then you could also do the USS Jupp from DS9, a personal favorite of mine.
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    Viper
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    edited July 2019 #90
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Very nice Saladin-Class indeed! If you're looking for easy to do backgrounds ships, then you could also do the USS Jupp from DS9, a personal favorite of mine.

Hey, I like that! I'll try to do it later today. It should be easier than the Akula as that one will require a new impulse engine.

Worth noting btw, that although they are being done for background purposes, I'm still doing the new pieces in the same standard as my other ships, so they can be the focus if needed and will hold up from a few meters distance ;)
    Post edited by Viper on
    I've always liked the Jupp too.