Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Article 13 & Scifi Artists

CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
Apparently this is now a thing, hooray for our globalist masters and the plan to end memetic warfare protect content creators...

Maybe its 'a good thing', let us know in the replies, but I'm trying to figure out what this means in practical terms - for example how does it affect SFM's artists who are busy recreating Enterprise after Enterprise, Star Destroyers and all sorts of other copyrighted (or even semi-original) design?

Also, @Guerrilla Have you any concerns over how this will affect site operations, access etc?

• GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    Some, although we are a small non-commercial player operating in a space where copyright holders have traditionally been pretty lenient. It's not like we would have had any choice in the matter before, if some big copyright holder had decided to send us a cease-and-desist over some project. It does shift liability towards the site (much like GDPR did earlier with personal information), so from a personal ass covering point of view, I'm very interested in how this plays out.

In other news, if anyone asks, we're a scifi parody site now. :tongue:
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
    My interpretation could well be wrong but i'm left with the impression that parties other than the copyright holder (ie european government) would step in (automatically with some fiendish AI?) and decide what is OK and what isn't? - Whether the copyright holder cared about the useage or not.

If this is just to protect content creators, I wonder how this would protect independent content creators developing original IP, since the 3rd party censoring bots would have to be aware of the IP to begin with.
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    I doubt the EU is very interested in stepping in, but all sorts of copyright interest groups will certainly want their cut. ContentID is a pretty good example of what the whole thing might look like, but it'll be on a bigger scale. Well, not a good example, but you know... :tongue:. The government isn't doing any of the enforcing. It's just punishing the platforms, if they neglect to do theirs. We should be exempt, since we're small-time and non-commercial, but we'll see.

In a bigger picture sense, I'm worried it'll effectively end up effectively region locking pieces of the Internet, which is a bad thing for everyone.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Simply put (and I'm directly translating a German site because I'm German and the site I got it from translated politic-speech into regular human lingo):
    Article 13:
    -Every website or App that focuses on profits has to do their level best to buy licenses for any copyright material that might be uploaded. I remember that the old site had a download area for models and even though it was non-profit, you know how companies are...
    -All "Start-ups" have to prevent the upload of copyright-protected material.
    -If a legal case ensues, the site-owners are the ones who take the blame.

Article 11:
    -If several words, sentences or entire paragraphs from a news-article are quoted somewhere, a license is required for that.
    -No exceptions! No matter if private sites, blogs, or the copying of entire articles onto Facebook or whatever.

Dunno how far translated articles are concerned so this passage alone might already infringe on that crap... Welcome to the 21st century lads. >:(