Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DScirocco Class Fast Attack Frigate and Okuda Class Destroyer Variant

2»

• ViperViper1686 Posts: 717Administrator
    Wow, that's amazing work! My only comment is that with the light sources you have, the image should look more dramatic. Right now it looks a bit flat. Do you have extra lights in addition to the visible light sources to make everything brighter?
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    edited October 2019 #33
    Thank you!

The foreground is fairly dark because from behind the camera there is no mesh..it's open to infinite space that has no light, so basically a whole bulkhead that would normally reflect light is missing.

I'm not really going for dramatic. My aesthetic goal is to project a stark military environment. This is a warship, not a ship of peace, thus it should be drab and uniform. Unlike Federation ships from Trek, this vessel doesn't deploy for years at a time. Mission cruises at the longest run 10 months. This Okuda has little in the way of creature comfort.

I was however, considering adding small spot lights that shine down on the door labels..that'll be the only additional light source I'll add.
    Post edited by sorceress21 on
    Actually, I think it's more a case of needing some color correction. I applied a quick 3d lut and it brought out the missing contrast of the image. Anyway, still looks fantastic :)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I absolutely love the amount of detail you put into everything.
    Viper wrote: »
    Actually, I think it's more a case of needing some color correction. I applied a quick 3d lut and it brought out the missing contrast of the image. Anyway, still looks fantastic :)

I've got no idea how to apply Look up Tables....Youza be speekin Gungan!

I'm just s simple cavegirl hobbyist...your world of professional 3D modeling frightens and confuses me...I look at pro images and think to myself..."how do they get thrust particles to appear coming from engines....Is it magic? Or..how do they create brilliant weathering textures on metal surfaces..is there a little man inside the computer that paints the texture?"

Hah, I'm far from being a professional. Just try to stay current. Anyway, you can apply Lut files in Photoshop. Just add a color lookup adjustment layer and select the table you want. I added an ACES file on your image:
    7eyb8oiyvzog.jpg
    Brandenberg
    Maybe I'm just old and my eyes are shot, but apart from looking slightly more sharp I don't see the difference? And I don't have PS. It's always been too expensive.
    The effect is subtle in this case. ACES lut works best on a 32 Bit image with full color range. It pronounces the bright parts so you get proper color bloom. Since the image is 16 bit, it doesn't have enough info to do it's job.

You can simulate the effect by just applying a curves adjustment and doing a slight s shape like this:
    fx7g74vvdrxe.jpg

Most image editors should have that function. Some renderers also have it on the VFB. I apply the lut files directly in vray
    edited October 2019 #40
    The effect is subtle in this case. ACES lut works best on a 32 Bit image with full color range. It pronounces the bright parts so you get proper color bloom. Since the image is 16 bit, it doesn't have enough info to do it's job.

You can simulate the effect by just applying a curves adjustment and doing a slight s shape like this:
    fx7g74vvdrxe.jpg

Most image editors should have that function. Some renderers also have it on the VFB. I apply the lut files directly in vray

Gimp has a color curve adjustment that looks almost exactly like that window and I adjusted it like you did with same results!..Thank you! It certainly does deepen the color sharpness..
    Post edited by sorceress21 on
    Viper
  • srspicersrspicer391 Posts: 335Member
    Awesome work!
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Looking good.
    Maybe I'm just old and my eyes are shot, but apart from looking slightly more sharp I don't see the difference? And I don't have PS. It's always been too expensive.

If you look for anything form PSCS6 or before, you can find them cheap second-hand. This is also software that you own, unlike Adobe current model of monthly/ yearly subscription.

Then again if you don't want to do that, there is always the high seas. ;)
    I'm taking a sabbatical from work and have had time to really pounce on the Okuda to finish off the exterior. I've done a fair amount of detail work and have addressed the shoddy textures.

Some narrative that will be included in the final prints that explains a lot of the external structures...

"The Okuda Class Heavy Destroyer, although an extremely successful design was rushed into production to meet the defense demands of the threat imposed by The Unity. The vessel is so over-powered that dissipating the heat and EM signature and structurally compensating for it's high sub-light velocity and maneuvering capability of the ship required an abundance of additional systems. Many of these compensatory systems had to be placed partially outboard due to the shear physical space demands of the equipment. Heavy structural integrity field generators, EM dampeners, degaussing field emitters, heat exchangers and heavy shield equipment all have disrupted the sleek outer hull with exposed components. Many of these components are equipped with self-contained defense field emitters to add a secondary layer of protection against combat damage if adversary fire is able to penetrate the primary defense shields."

kiri-hunter-dorsalsm.jpg?1580537186

Brandenbergtricky2kLizzy777Freakevil_genius_180
    I'm not super happy with this render but I wanted to show the ship lit like it would be if it were all real. In TV and film especially artists tend to vastly overlight spacecraft as if there is some magical light source that always conveniently exists. Space, unless a craft is in direct sunlight from a local star is a very dark place. I'm really not happy with the moon. it came out really flat. It's actually a to scale sphere that's modeled in the same scene yet for reasons I don't understand there's no sense of depth.

kiri-hunter-xmas1.jpg?1577331103
    Brandenbergtricky2kLizzy777Freakevil_genius_180
    Main gangway airlock details..

kiri-hunter-docking-port-small.jpg?1578800279

kiri-hunter-docking-port-zoom-out.jpg?1578812241
    BrandenbergxiaorobearashleytingerLizzy777Freakevil_genius_180srspicer
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Exceptional work. :3
    edited February 2020 #47

Check out Affinity Photo. Inexpensive - it is purchased and not by subscription like Photoshop. Does all the main things. Easier to learn. There are YouTube tutorials. However, if you are already proficient with GIMP. It's Freeeeeeee.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/#buy
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    I actually have PS now. I'm pretty much done with learning new software that isn't professional grade. I've got enough Open GL handicaps with Sketchup and Gimp..LOL
    Well may I be the first to say that your work doesn't appear to be handicapped.
  • xiaorobearxiaorobear712 Posts: 175Member
    Love that red lighting around the airlock details!
    Well thank you!
    That docking port is awesome! Love the details :)
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Loving this ship.
    Thanks all! It's my "Never ending Pluto Station!"
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Always a pleasure to see updates on this project. (though, I apparently missed those a couple days ago) I love not only your modeling but your lighting as well.
    That docking port is awesome! Love the details :)

Agreed 1000%