Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Greetings!
This is the fancy new sidebar. It offers quick access to your profile, messages, threads and so on.
Hit the X in the top right corner to dismiss this message.
Greetings!

Welcome to the fancy new Scifi-Meshes.com! You old username and password should work. If not, get in touch with staff either here, on Facebook or on Discord.

For a quick summary on what's new, check out this thread.
You should also check out the Community Guidelines here.
You can check out most recent posts here or by clicking the handy links on the top menu or the sidebar.

You can dismiss this message by clicking the little X in the top right corner.

Starfury Aurora (Babylon 5)

tricky2ktricky2k3 Posts: 7Member
edited March 12 in Work in Progress #1
First of all, I recently found about this forum and loving it already. Now, to the point

This has been to me like an obsession (not "like", an honest to god obsession) for many years, until one day I finally decided to try and make a 3D model of a Starfury. Actually, no. At first, I only wanted to build the Revell's 1:48 kit but, before I even started building it, I saw a lot of things wrong. Features missing, wrong details and dimensions... As you may know, there's no actual original 3D model, or even a practical model, of this ship (or maybe I'm wrong). All the files, meshes and such are lost, or they say. Even Revell had to do with images extracted directly from the show. So, after some thought (not too much), and seeing that none of the 3D models out there were (imho) accurate enough (there are awesome ones in this site, really, but remember, I'm obsessed), I decided to make one from scratch, grabbing all the reference images I could, taking more than half thousand screencaps from the show and so on (not unlike most of you, i guess). Two perks, though, I had never touched a 3d modelling software before, and I wanted to make it fully printable with the idea of making a big "garage kit", 1:32 or so, in resin. Since I had no idea of 3D modelling, I started with the one software I found easier, which is probably the WORST for such an enterprise. Yep, Sketchup. So here I am, after a few hundreds (or thousands) hours and half way in, but also half way out. The most obvious, the cockpit/canopy, the back greebles, finishing the weapons, the bottom... and then panel lines, rounding edges, correcting mistakes, killing myself for choosing that software...

So far, around 250 solids optimized for printing. No textures, no fancy rendering stuff (i'm too old to learn all that)

aarfirb7k034.png

Post edited by tricky2k on
Lizzy777
  • Like - Lizzy777 on March 9, 2019.
lennier1
  • Like - lennier1 on March 10, 2019.

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral233 Posts: 1,563Member
    Sweetness! I'll be following this!
  • ashleytingerashleytinger45 Central OhioPosts: 173Member
    Very cool!
  • tricky2ktricky2k3 Posts: 7Member
    edited March 9 #4
    Sweetness! I'll be following this!

Well, it's gonna be a looooooong ride. I'm slow as hell, and most of the time I expend it correcting mistakes (still a lot), smoothing the looks (still a lot more) and trying to figure out how to do non-linear shapes right, at which this-software-sucks (or I suck at this software, more likely)

Actually, I'm seriously thinking about exporting the whole thing to .obj and give Fusion360 a try, though that'll mean having to learn yet another software from zero. That and reducing the solids count to something more manageable. Right now is about 250 (each solid has at least one flat side and mild angles to ease the printing process and avoid supports). When (if) i finish it, we may be talking about 300-350 solids. Print aaaaall that, test fitting, smooth it, cast it, test fit again... Waaaay above my paygrade, but a fun ride anyway
  • liam887liam887206 ViperPosts: 547Member
    What plugins are you using in SketchUp? SubD or Artisan tools will allow you to make the shapes you need, otherwise Blender 2.8 is pretty quick to get to grips with and good to shoot back and forth between SketchUp. Thats my workflow at the moment.
    tricky2k
    • Like - tricky2k on March 14, 2019.
    edited March 14 #6
    liam887 wrote: »
    What plugins are you using in SketchUp? SubD or Artisan tools will allow you to make the shapes you need, otherwise Blender 2.8 is pretty quick to get to grips with and good to shoot back and forth between SketchUp. Thats my workflow at the moment.

Mostly I use Artisan for complicated curves that don't "flow" naturally between edges or boundaries (like the frontal piece of the bottom wing, the one touching the cockpit and the lower weapons group), and for those that do, the free ones Fredo6 Curviloft and Soap Skin Bubble. Still the pain is not really making those forms, but editing the forms once made. For instance, I need to make the curve of the "top wing to body" beam more pronounced, more "rounded" (see pic), but keeping intact both ends of the component. Any bending plugin I've tried messes all the geometry badly since you can't pick a point but you're stuck with the bounding box

So I thought that, maybe, exporting what I have right now to another software with more capabilites with solids will help. I tried Blender 2.79 and some things seemed quite easy, but others not that much (have in mind that my experience with 3D software is just "making the starfury with Sketchup"). The mouse in Blender drives me crazy, nothing works like "it should", but I'm sure there's a way to change the mouse behavior in the options

By the way, how do you go back and forth between Sketchup and Blender? Which filetype you choose to work with both?

• scifiericscifieric183 Posts: 797Member
    This looks awesome!
    tricky2k
    • Like - tricky2k on March 15, 2019.
  • ulimann644ulimann644181 Hagen - GermanyPosts: 571Member
    Looks really cool.
    I guess it would look fantastic with textures and all the fancy rendering stuff ;)
    For Infos about my Fan-Fictions please visit my FF-WIKI (german language)
    ulimann644 wrote: »
    Looks really cool.
    I guess it would look fantastic with textures and all the fancy rendering stuff ;)
    No doubt, ulimann, and maybe some day. If I was just making the model "as is" I'd definitely go for textures, but right now most of my time goes into making "building blocks", since each piece needs to fit to the next. Add to the mix that I'm super-slow and, after 9 days of my first message, I've only added the gun supports and the top wings beams that go right to the bottom

hr1cge0k92y2.png

Lizzy777
    • Like - Lizzy777 on March 18, 2019.
  • ulimann644ulimann644181 Hagen - GermanyPosts: 571Member
    Adding the textures is also MY last step by making a starship. :)
    For Infos about my Fan-Fictions please visit my FF-WIKI (german language)